Sunday, November 16, 2008

Tho thith ith goodbye

Eva has always had a lisp as big as the great outdoors.

I've always considered it kind of cute, although I suppose I realized there is a point where lisps cease to be adorable.  Some people can carry them off with style, but I think it's safe to say that most parents kind of want them to disappear once the kid hits school.  We are no exception.

The last time we visited Eva's pediatrician, she mentioned the lisp and suggested we see a speech pathologist.  As luck would have it, I have a friend who is a speech pathologist so I spoke with her about it.  She said often lisps will just sort of disappear on their own...and she doesn't generally work with kids on lisps until after they lose their front teeth.  Which makes sense.  

Etienne and I decided to wait on it, until Eva lost her teeth.

Well, she still hasn't lost them...but this week, she did LOSE HER LISP.

It's really kind of amazing...one day she just started saying these sparkling, sizzling "S"'s.  
We hadn't really talked with her about it...she just kind of did it.
All by herself. 

It's amazing and remarkable and a weight off our shoulders.  I'm proud of her for taking the initiative and just doing it on her own.  Hearing her clear, certain speech is wonderful.

But.......it's also one more sign that our baby is growing up.

And I hate to admit it, but a tiny little weensy bit of me actually misses the lisp.

There.  I've said it. 

Thigh.



1 comment:

Kulio said...

awww...mine couldn't say her 'r's, and it was so dang cute. Hated to lose it. Love that speech pathologist for being a calm cool collected cucumber and just letting her grow. Amazing, isn't it? Nature...ahhhh....