Thursday, March 5, 2009

I melt

Last night I dreamed that Adele was missing.

I don't remember any details beyond that, other than the fact that eventually, police found her and brought her back.

In the dream, I heard her crying as I raced out the door to rejoin her...and in my dream, I fell on a mat on the porch; wailing and so emotionally spent that I could not get up.

Then I woke up.

And so, instead of just standing in the doorway of their room and blowing kisses to each of my sleeping girls as I rushed out to work at 4 this morning, I actually entered the room to kiss them.

There are always two kisses each.  

One for the heart, and one for the head.
And as I give them their kisses, I always mentally say, "Keep living, keep loving".

Always.

Anyway, with the adrenaline from my dream still making me a bit shaky...I went into the bedroom to give them their kisses.    I just needed to touch my girls - to feel the warmth of their baby skin and touch their soft hair for a moment. 

As I bent over to kiss Eva, she whispered quietly in the darkness, "Goodbye, Mama.  I love you."

And I tell you with complete honesty...,if there is no reward beyond that in this journey of mine...
That will have been enough.


2 comments:

Kulio said...

oh....chills this morning....I know that dream. It's so easy to forget, how one we are with them, and so startlingly painful and good to remember. Tears.

Diane said...

Oooh - that is beautiful!

I followed your blog from Ottava Battuta's - saw the headline "my wine turning to vinegar" and it intrigued me so I clicked.

Then I saw the name Adele - that's my daughter's name and it intrigued me so I read on....

So glad I did!