Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Better, with bacon

1.  Adele is coming back to life...eating, and allowing more than six seconds to pass without whining or crying. 

SOOO relieved to see my little pooper feeling better.

It's been a stressful, awful five days.

Bring on the next virus...we're ready.

Well, we will be if we can get a decent night's sleep.

zzzzz

2.  Was cooking perogies and talking last night with Evita...explaining how delicious they are with sour cream and a few bits of bacon on top.  
And Eva dropped a bombshell.

Eva: "I don't want bacon.  Because I DON'T WANT A FAT TUMMY"

You know that sound in sitcoms when the main character has been partying with 600 friends in the family's palatial mansion, and they've spilled orange pop on the wall, and next door his best friend is KISSING A GIRL and they're dancing to ROCK MUSIC and they open up a beer to share among ten people sitting on the couch and his parents walk in early because they couldn't get a seat at the restaurant?  

You know that loud record-scratching sound?

Then, me, with an audible snap of my neck: "Who told you that?"

Eva:  "mumble mumble school"

I couldn't believe it.

We NEVER talk about diets or fat or weight or anything that might prompt this child to THINK TWICE about her body.  She doesn't watch TV.  The only movies she sees are Disney and Asterix films.   She plays outside all the time and eats healthy and she IS IN KINDERGARTEN, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

I am not naive.  
I know kids think about this crap, and kids talk.  
But my daughter is not even SIX YEARS OLD.
She is fit and perfect and has no reason to worry about fat.

We had a long discussion about MODERATION and how being active and eating healthy most of the time allows us to have the junky stuff once in a while without worrying about it.

In the end, I didn't make the bacon...not because of Eva's concerns, but rather because I was starving and just wanted to eat without waiting to fry it up.

And I was sooo happy when Eva demanded, "BUT WHERE'S THE BACON???" at the table.

BRING ON THE BACON, BABY!!!


3.  Made bricks - I mean, homemade granola bars.

We will use them to pave the driveway, once it warms up.

(Don't ever make homemade granola bars.  It's dumb)

 
4.  Went to Evita's dance competition at school.  

Her group did an elaborate dance to a tune about a masquerade ball...reminding me once again how folks who work in schools are criminally underappreciated and underpaid.

It also reminded me how much fun it is for kids to get up onstage and show what they can do!

Eva dressed up as a princess and had a blast.


Rock on, my beautiful girlie.
We are so very proud of you.





3 comments:

Little Miss Vi said...

please tell her that her cousin V saw the pictures of her show and loved it! she is beyond words gorgeous and that smile on her face simply made my night/day/week (i'll stop but i could go on and on)
also, tell her that i miss her a lot..

Diane said...

Argh - I still remember the day my Adele got in the car after school (2nd grade) telling me that Libby said her thighs were fat. I heard that same screeching halt of a record...I think I may have slammed on the brakes or something.

Needless to say, Libby didn't get invited over to our house again.

So sad.

Michelle said...

Your story of Eva and the bacon shook me pretty hard. 20,000 media messages a day (with or without access to TV) has brought us here. What a F#@!. Call me.