Maybe her hearing needs checking.
Maybe we expect too much.
But I don't think so.
Eva's behaviour lately has been...less than acceptable.
In fact, I'd say she's actually venturing into "you little shit" territory.
In the past couple of weeks, her listening skills have gone even further into the toilet.
She's bouncing around constantly.
I don't think it's ADHD or anything like that; she's perfectly happy to sit at the table for 30 minutes doing math questions, then go read a book alone for 30 minutes, then colour quietly for another half hour.
But when we ask her to do something - anything - it feels like we have to repeat it 5-thousand freaking times...or get in her face and start threatening, before anything happens.
Leave your sister alone.
Leave your sister alone.
Leave your sister alone.
Sit still and eat your food.
And leave your sister alone.
We had friends over the other night and Eva was an absolute animal.
We were embarrassed.
She was rude, not listening, bouncing around, and being ridonkulously bossy with their toddler.
And it's not that we're inattentive parents...or yellers who wind up ignored because they yell all the time...or those annoying parents you see at the playground who kind of nasally drone at their children constantly to the point the kids tune them out because ohmygoshIcan'tstandlisteningtoyouforanotherminute.
We are involved.
We talk with our kids.
We give them time-outs when necessary.
We actively try to get them to behave.
SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THAT AT SOME POINT, EVA'S EARS WILL UNCLOG and I won't have to NAIL HER ASS TO THE CHAIR to get her to sit still???
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago
2 comments:
Ohhhh!!! So hard. I remember.
Once I gave the kids each 5 pennies. I said they had to make sure at the end of the day that they still had 5 pennies total (not each). We would all have ice cream if they still had 5 pennies. Every time somebody messed with somebody, I took away a penny. At first it was no big deal, but suddenly they started hissing at each other when somebody lost a penny. They started shaping up.
It was a good plan, and lasted like...a week. Then we had to try something new.
Sigh...always something new!
Oh - bless your heart! (I live in the southern US now and you HAVE to say "bless your heart".)
You made me laugh out loud tonight (a laugh of empathy and memories) and that's not an easy thing to do this late at night. Well done!
Post a Comment