Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sucks and sweetness


1.  See that thing in Addie's mouth???




It's occupying a place normally occupied by a thumb.

A wee thumb that has grown increasingly - well, for lack of a better word - MANGLED over the past couple of days.

I'm not sure what's up...whether the suction has suddenly changed to HOOVER level, or if she bit herself...but Addie's beloved thumb now looks like we scraped it down a cheese grater and then drove over it with the car.   
Blistered, raw, swollen, and bleeding.  It's really, really wretched.

We have been taping it up at night, forcing her to suck on her other thumb...but during the day, we want to try to let it heal as best we can.  Plus we're worried that she'll figure out a way to get the twelve feet of bandage and tape off her hand, and somehow choke on it.

So we have turned to the pacifier.

She is nearly two, and we are INTRODUCING a pacifier.  

And in a year, we'll be trying to take it away.

After all of which, I'm sure she'll just return to sucking her thumb again, because she's JUST THAT KIND OF KID.


2.  Etienne took this photo, this morning.

This is how I love them most...messy, rumpled, still sweet from sleep.



And peaceful, for 30 seconds.

And I have no idea why I am so lucky, in this life.

xo

3 comments:

Kulio said...

Love messy morning children!

Oh and my sucker...same thing...we gave her a pacifier late in life..then eventually weaned her from it, and now at 13? She sucks her bottom lip.

Oops, that sounded negative..it's NOT..what I mean is...they will do what they will do...so don't worry.

Little Miss Vi said...

because you deserve it!! you are such an amazing person and so is Etienne.. you have amazing children for that reason me dear..

Kristy said...

Awww V...you're too lovely for words.
k xo