Eva has decided she wants to be class president.
I know this is the part where I am supposed to express my delight in my sweet little Type-A offspring's desire to lead; to inspire her schoolmates; to make a difference in her little six-year-old's world.
And a part of me is delighted. No question.
But another piece of me worries that she's setting herself up for disappointment. In her words, "three or five and maybe more" - of the twenty kids have the same lofty dreams of power.
The fact that she decided to throw her hat into the ring a full day into the week-long campaign can't help. Some other kids already showed up this morning flashing posters with HANDLES MADE FROM BROOMSTICKS (these are parents who like colour-coded flashcards, remember). Eva also informed me that one kid has a poster made by his parents.
I think it also can't help that her interest doesn't really seem to lie in BEING PRESIDENT...I think she just likes the idea of making a poster.
Evita likes to draw.
SO...my sweet little firstborn is indeed making a poster. And coming up with a speech and a campaign slogan. (Etienne helpfully suggested "Yes We Can".....which then prompted "The Audacity of Hope"...and many giggles from the parental peanut gallery.)
Tonight we talked a bit about her campaign speech, asking her what she planned to say about herself.
Her response: "I want to say that I'm AUTONOMOUS."
Hubba Wha?
ANYWAY.
Tomorrow she will complete her campaign poster; a poster that currently features a tree, a bush, a heart, two cats with long curly eyelashes, a stray set of floating facial features (minus a nose), two children playing soccer, a mouse with huge ears, a flower, a garbage can, a compost bin, and a recycling logo.
Tomorrow, we'll also figure out what the heck she's going to say in her speech.
Sigh.
We'll get there.
Autonomous. The environment.
YES, SHE CAN.
3 comments:
Can she? Oh yes.
hahaha....laughing at Autonomous...
I guarantee if she uses that word in her speech she will impress every kid in the audience - cool.
Good luck!
So cool - and every successful politician has PR handlers helping refine key messages, enhance the delivery and polish the image - I'm with a couple of media types in her court, she's go the edge :)
Well she's already more articulate than Sarah Palin. What has she got to lose??
Post a Comment