We brought her into bed between us, rolled her up like a mummy in the sheets, and murmured "It's time to sleep" over and over in both of Canada's official languages. Of course, she toyed with us a little...sucking her thumb, tugging her ear, and pretending to settle down...before leaping up and jamming a finger into an eye socket the moment we believed that she might actually go back to sleep.
She was ALMOST THERE...drifting off peacefully...when Mother Nature (THAT WHORE) decided to unleash the thunderstorm to end all thunderstorms. The claps of thunder were enough to wake the dead...and of course, Adele.
Finally, the storm settled down enough for me to drag the writhing little maggot out to the car... we drove into town and mercifully, found a coffee shop that opened before 7 a.m. I didn't care if they were serving VARNISH in coffee cups...I was so happy to find a place that was open.
We settled into a seating area with armchairs...I eased back and relaxed while Adder wandered between the empty chairs (she officially started truly walking YESTERDAY!). A few people sat down and talked with her a bit...she even convinced a young woman to give her half a muffin.
That Norah Jones song "Sunrise, sunrise" (probably not the real title) came on the radio...and I have to admit, I had a little moment.
Watching Adder stagger around smiling at everyone...sipping my coffee in small-town cafe on an early Thursday morning...my husband and big girl still sleeping back at the house...I just couldn't help thinking how these little moments are what make it all worthwhile. How very lucky I am. How life truly is beautiful.
Then my sweet little girl came over to me...smiling...she reached up her little hands for me to take her into my lap...
AND THEN SHE
VOMITED.
ALL.
OVER.
ME.
My next child will be a geranium.
1 comment:
Love your blog - you eloquently capture the joy of raising children ... bodily functions and all :)
Post a Comment