Sunday, March 15, 2009

As my red wine turns to vinegar in the glass


Went to a house party last night.

We were both amused when an acquaintance walked in with her 13 year old daughter.
The girl was wearing a skintight black dress with a slinky belt, high boots, and about an inch of black eyeliner under each eye.
She grunted greetings, stood uncomfortably, and flipped her hair constantly.
She and her skinny, pimpled little boyfriend quickly disappeared downstairs to "watch a movie".

Etienne and I kind of smiled, thinking "how cute" until it struck us both at the same time.

THAT IS OUR DAUGHTER IN SEVEN YEARS.

Lord help us.


2.  Eva, to a man and woman seated together at the same party:  "So...are you guys separated, then?"


3.  Eva:  "I'll never try smoking.  Never.  I will never, ever try smoking." 

(pause)

"Well, except for smoked salmon"

I hope in seven years, when she's dressed like a wee little hooker and prepping for a snog session with her skinny, pimpled boyfriend, that she still feels that way.

Argh...this parenting thing is freaking TERRIFYING.

1 comment:

Kulio said...

ahhh!

scary.

and yet,

I know some really cool, balanced teenagers and most of them started out as smart, creative little ones.

That's hopeful.