Her nice, brand-new Mexx shirt that she was wearing for the first time.
It was a tiny hole, about two millimetres in diameter (about 1/4 inch, Heather).
But a hole, nonetheless.
Me: "How did you get a hole in your shirt?"
Eva: "Are you going to get mad?"
Me: "I don't know. If you caught it in your zipper, no. (Laughingly) If you took a pair of scissors and deliberately poked a hole in your shirt, then yeah, probably."
Eva, eyes filling with tears: "YOU'RE GOING TO GET MAD!!!"
Me: BLINK BLINK
Crickets chirp quietly in the background as I try to process the fact that my daughter who can find fifty countries on a map and read and write and do math and make banana bread all by herself and sing songs in ten languages and remember the names of every man, woman, and child she has ever met and and who is running for president of her class just TOOK A PAIR OF SCISSORS AND POKED A POLE IN HER BRAND NEW SHIRT FOR FUN.
So yeah, I did get mad eventually.
Not for long...but I did threaten to give all of her beloved pink clothes away and to buy her nothing but THE UGLIEST BLACK AND BROWN CLOTHES I CAN FIND for the rest of her natural life, AND WELL INTO HER SECOND CAREER IN HEAVEN.
And now I fully understand why my own mom got mad at me, that time I lost my brand-new gymnastics outfit in grade one (sorry for that one, Mom!!! Love ya!!!)
Crazy kid.
1 comment:
I'll bet it was simply out of pure boredom. That child is a "What if?" child :-)
Post a Comment