She seemed like a nice little girl...Eva seemed to adore her and they played together often at school. There was talk of play dates and sleepovers.
Then suddenly...things changed.
The planets shifted...the clouds churned...and suddenly, the name "Mathilde" was replaced by the name "Nadine".
All this was fine with us, as long as Eva was happy.
But the other night, Eva filled me in as to what happened to her great friendship with Mathilde.
"I was playing with Mathilde and it was fun. But this other girl named NADINE comes along. I didn't know her. I only knew that there was this nice girl named Mathilde. And we played. But Nadine came and Mathilde didn't like her as much as me. So one day they fought and Nadine had my arm and Mathilde had my other arm and they pulled and pulled and I was like, 'whoa this is ME' and finally they let go."
Me: "And then what happened?"
Eva: "Then they said I had to decide who was my BEST BEST BEST FRIEND"
Me: "Wow...that's a tough decision... how did you do that?"
Eva: "Well.......actually........I DID EENIE MEENIE MINEY MO".
Me: "And that's how you decided who your best friend forever would be?"
Eva: "Yup!"
OOOOOOOOOH life is cruel when you're five...
No comments:
Post a Comment