Friday, October 17, 2008

Randomness

1.  Back after a week away and settling into the routine once again.  Trolls went off to respective holding cells with relative ease, and I did the groceries-laundry-etc etc etc (my last Thanksgiving-related day off work).  Having friends over for dinner tomorrow night, which calls for a few exceptional measures.  Vacuuming, for one.  I also baked cookies and only ate three.  A heroic effort, if I do say so myself.

2.  Realized today that we forgot one thing when we went away for a week.  And it was something that one DOES NOT want to forget.   Some background:  we use cloth diapers.  When they get dirty and are waiting to be washed, they go into a diaper pail.  Generally, we do a load every couple of days but last week, the morning we left fell on an odd day and...well...we forgot five dirty diapers in the pail.  FOR A WEEK.  I opened the lid this morning and I swear, a mushroom cloud billowed out and stripped the top layer of skin off my face with a blinding flash of light.  It was like the freaking APOCALYPSE.  I streaked to the laundry room holding the pail as far from my nose as possible...and then wrung every last drop out of the bleach bottle in an effort to clean the fluorescent, bubbling, goopy mess.  In the end, the diapers came out snowy white but OH THE HORROR.

3.  It's Friday night so Eva picked a movie...this week it was "Sleeping Beauty".  During the opening credits, she said, "This happened in the 14th century".  Indeed.  Why is it that my five-year-old can remember datelines of ancient Disney movies she has only seen once before, but she can't remember to LEAVE HER SISTER ALONE, even when I repeat that phrase every ten seconds of her life???

4.  Washed three of Etienne's good shirts.  The really good, expensive ones he wears for work.  The ones that aren't supposed to be WASHED, but rather lovingly dry-cleaned by fairies who use golden sparkly wands that tinkle as they wave magic cleaning dust over the shirts.  The shirts now fit Barbie dolls.  I am such an IDIOT.

5.  Slow-cooking a giant chunk of beef with star anise gravy tomorrow for guests.  Also having rosemary-roasted autumn vegetables and lots of WINE! WINE! WINE!  I know you're jealous.

Um...unless you're vegetarian.



      

No comments: