I felt an immediate spasm of fear that AFTER ONLY TWO WEEKS IN SCHOOL, MY CHILD HAS ALREADY BEEN TOSSED TO THE LOSER PILE.
I envisioned twelve long years of school stretched out before my little girl...punctuated by unrelenting cruelty and mind-numbing solitude. She'd grow up completely ignored by her cheery little classmates, with only Coco (her cat) for a best friend. She'd go on to become a crazy lady, hoarding dozens of cats in her giant litterbox of a home and only going outside to shuffle off to the grocery store for Pop Tarts and TV dinners. She'd spend her Saturday nights with cigarette after cigarette dangling from her thin dry lips, with multiple sheets of bingo numbers before her, dabbing in a frenzy. Dabbing...dabbing...dabbing.
With an almost physical effort, I shoved all that aside and tentatively asked, "why are they making fun of you?"
And the horror of it was unimaginable.
The awfulness.
The pure brutality and cruelty of it all.
"They make fun of me because...."
PAUSE FOR DRAMATIC EFFECT
"My thermos is NOT PRETTY".
Wha?
Are you kidding me???
I have an ulcer because YOUR THERMOS IS NOT PRETTY??????
Now, a month ago when I bought Eva's thermos, I chose it because it was a smart little multi-layered stainless steel number...with stainless steel interior (no BPA) and an easy-to-open lid. It's just the perfect size for a five-year old. Sucker was the most expensive of its kind at twenty-five bucks, but it's built to last and it's super quality.
BUT APPARENTLY IT'S NOT PRETTY.
So my question is this.
Do I leave my child to the cats and bingo...
...or do I spring for another Thermos, ONLY PRETTY?
3 comments:
Fill it with gummy bears one day and get her share them with her friends. THEN she'll have not only the coolest thermos, but also the coolest mom...
Celine, you are brill.
I miss you.
oh! idea! excellent :-)
Post a Comment