Saturday, August 9, 2008

Big girl

This morning, on waking: "You are not fancy, Mama".
Me, sleepily, "wha?"
Eva: "MAMA. YOU KNOW, I WILL ALWAYS BE FANCIER THAN YOU".

Gee, thanks. So glad we've got that straight at 5:57 in the morning. Come here and let me breathe on you my dear...I'll show you FANCY.

Tonight was a big night for Eva...we were at Etienne's parents' place. Had a lovely supper and then she and her Grandmama left for about a half hour. When they returned, Eva was bouncing off the walls and giving off sparks, she was so excited.

We went out front and she proceeded to show us how she can ride a two-wheeled bike on her own. The bike is an old one handed-down from a cousin. It was a bit small...her knees alternated smashing her chin every time she pedalled. But she did it...rode in uneven circles around a nearby parking lot, skidding her feet along the cement to stop herself. I was so proud! Even more so when she wiped out and didn't even cry.

You know, the past year hasn't always been easy for Eva. Her happy little world was invaded by a blue-eyed Tasmanian Devil...a wee little monster who spatters food, leaves trails of assorted toys and Tupperware everywhere, and poops in the tub when sharing a bath (and then laughs evilly when Eva streaks out of the tub in disgust). A little monster who takes up a lot of Mama and Papa's time...and who has forced Eva to do a fair amount of sharing and growing up over the past twelve months.

Watching her ride that too-small bike tonight, it really made me realize how very quickly this whole parental ride is moving along.

I also realize how very lucky I am.

Screw fancy. I'm just happy to be here.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Good on Eva and good on you.
And you know she'll never try taking her bike down Buzzy's.
Nice, right?
And, you are fancy. Did she say fancy in English ou en Français.