But the best part, by far happened Saturday afternoon.
We put Adele down for her regular afternoon nap and of course, she went down like a champion. Eva's not much of a napper now...at five, she's getting a bit beyond needing one. But this was Saturday afternoon...she had gone to bed late on Friday night...and her grumpy side was rearing its ugly head and BITING OUR FACES OFF just a little too often.
So I convinced her to come lie down with me.
The day was unbelievably hot and humid so she was covered in her customary layer of sweat and sunscreen, just stinking of summer. We curled up between the cool sheets (400 threadcount Egyptian, on sale at Winners), cuddled up close, and it took only about 30 seconds for her to begin breathing deeply.
Now, naps with my beautiful little girl have always been one of my life's greatest pleasures. I always say, "okay, Eva...I think it's time for you and me to take a little walk" She knows what I mean and may occasionally protest a bit, but she always winds up trotting off to the bedroom.
I'm telling you, nothing can compare to lying down in the middle of summer, cuddled up with your child, with a slight breeze moving the curtains and the gentle noise of the streets humming in the background. Eva didn't sleep long, but it was long enough to take me back to when she was a baby and we started our weekend nap tradition. I know these are stolen moments now...that my little girl is getting bigger and very soon she won't nap at all. So Saturday's little nap just topped me up and made my spirit overflow.
Speaking of overflowing...(note abrupt change of topic here)
...our basement pump and dehumidifier have failed us.
And failed us in SPECTACULAR fashion.
The pump is located in a corner in the basement where we never go, behind a low section of wall we never really see. We store some old boxes and suitcases there and have pretty much left it alone for about a year.
Well, we shouldn't have.
This summer has been like monsoon season in Bangladesh. It has rained at least every second day...and not just slight rains. It has rained enough that one might consider building a freaking ark.
We were so, so stupid not to check that corner at least once in the past few weeks. Because today, when I went downstairs and found a light sheen of water on the basement floor surrounding that corner, I began moving suitcases and boxes.
IT WAS LIKE SOMEONE HAD JAMMED A GIANT STICK OF DYNAMITE DOWN OSCAR THE GROUCH'S THROAT. AND lit the fuse...AND left his greasy green furry remains spattered all over the bottom of the wall. I would post a photo if the camera lens hadn't shattered at the sight of it all. OH THE HORROR. OH THE HORROR. OH THE HORROR.
I just went to the hardware store and bought the most toxic mould-killer I could find (if you know me and bacteria, you'll understand my hysteria) and I am about to go down and do battle.
I'm a prairie girl. I'm not used to humidity like this. I'm not used to mean green bacteria and spores spawning in my home. If I had a hazmat suit, I'd put it on. IT'S THAT DISGUSTING.
If I never post again, you'll know that I lost the fight.
ACK
Wish me luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment